Making your own homemade air freshener spray is easy and makes the whole house smell wonderful. You can tailor the essential oils to your needs and favorite smells and combination of smells.
If you have any allergies, or anyone in your household have allergies, use essential oils right for your home and family. Essentials oils may bother anyone with perfume allergies so check with any guests before using the homemade air freshener spray.
The smell is wonderful and stays in the air for some time. Essential oils can help to clean the air and even help with some medical problems such as headaches.
If you are having trouble with sleeping, try using just lavender essential oil in the homemade air freshener spray in the bedroom a couple of hours before bedtime. For the homemade air freshener spray in this blog, I used sweet orange essential oil, lavender essential oil, and rosemary essential oil.
In aromatherapy orange essential oil encourages cheerfulness, and a sunny disposition.
Peppermint essential oil is invigorating, antiseptic, cooling, and a pain reliever. It is used to treat fatigue, travel sickness, digestion, headaches, and irritations. It has a refreshing scent and also helps to keep those pesky bugs away.
Lavender essential oil is cooling, relaxing scent, refreshing, soothing, antiseptic, and help to get rid of those pesky creatures. Lavender is used to relieve pain, insomnia, headaches, infections, and helps when mentally or physically exhausted.
Some other essential oils you might try for the homemade air fresher spray include:
- Anise, has a licorice scent
- Basil, relieves mental fatigue and nervousness
- Cinnamon, spicy scent and freshen air
- Clove, spicy scent
- Eucalyptus, disinfects the air, aids nasal congestion caused by colds or sinus problems, effective as an insect repellent, stimulating, antiseptic, antiviral and good for respiratory problems
- Juniper, light, stimulating and said to relieve fear, disinfectant, clears the mind, and depression
- Lemon, fresh scent with a citrus smell, relieves mental pressure, insect repellent, relieves pain
- Pine, fresh clean scent, helps with emotional stress, fatigue, refreshing, antiseptic, and disinfectant. Good for respiratory problems
- Rose, relaxing, antidepressant, antiseptic, good for stress, headaches and digestion
Ingredients for Homemade Air Freshener Spray
- Dark colored spray bottle
- Distilled water
- Essentials oils of your choice, I used orange, lavender, and rosemary essential oils.
- Glass jar for mixing the essential oil with distilled water
Measure how much water will fit in plastic bottle. Mine used 1 cup. Heat tap water to boiling and pour in and over warmed glass jar to help sterilize the jar. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes. Pour off water, heat distilled water to boiling and pour into warmed glass jar. Allow to cool.
Once the distilled water has cooled, add the essential oils. I use about 1 tsp. of sweet orange and about 15 drops each of rosemary and lavender essential oil. Cap the jar, and shake to distribute the oils in the water. Allow to sit for a few minutes and pour into the spray bottle using a funnel.
Spray in the air with the homemade air freshener spray. Be sure and use the mist setting on spray bottle and don’t spray on any surface, water might harm. If any adverse reactions occur, discontinue use.
With the right combinations of oils, your house can smell like you just bake a spice cake. Try adding vanilla to the mixture.